Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Is it Ever Ridiculous to Say "Pray for Me"?

Yesterday wasn't a day exactly like any other.  It was my 6-month checkup and cleaning at the dentist.  Knowing that this was coming up, I had been stressed and anxious for the week prior.  To many people, that would seem silly; but for me, it is normal life.  As a child I had a bad incident with a dentist, and from there it just seemed I had several less-than-positive events with different dental professionals.  So it would almost be expected that by the time I was a teenager, going to get anything done with my teeth brought on major stress.  Now I'm in my late-40's, and it seems almost silly that I should get anxious at all over a simple cleaning trip to the dentist.  After all, I've given birth to babies, had numerous surgeries, traveled alone overseas, survived divorce, watched my kids grow up and leave the nest {I know, that shouldn't be so traumatic, but believe me - that can be pretty tough on a mama!}... so a little visit to the dentist should be a piece of cake!  SHOULD be... but it just isn't, not quite yet.  No doubt, it probably doesn't help that I'm in a new town with a fairly new dentist (new to me, definitely not new to the field of dentistry... I'm NOT that brave!) AND I did have the BEST dentist ever before moving.  In fact, before we moved, it was among the other important factors we had to consider in making the decision to move. You know, the important things you think about: who's going to do my hair and nails?  Who will be my dentist?  Those things were almost deal-breakers with the whole idea of moving to the beach!  But seriously, the ocean was calling me... and it made me feel brave at the time.  

Well, I didn't feel so brave yesterday morning when I woke up.  I had gone to sleep the night before with it on my mind, and it was the first thought on my mind when I woke up:  "TODAY I have to go to the dentist."  I was full of nothing but dread and angst.  So the best way to handle that was to ask some people close to me to please pray!  YES - I did ask for prayer over going to the dentist.  Not for some major dental work or life-threatening surgery, but for a simple checkup and cleaning.  And I don't feel silly... not one bit

There are so many things going on in the world around us...chaos all over the world.  It's scary to even turn on the news, and I avoid it as much as possible, choosing to read the news where I can control when and how much I take in from all the bad in this world.  And those huge things seem like they should be what we are praying about - and I am praying.  A lot of people are continually praying about those issues.  But that doesn't take away the smaller things in our lives.  The things that we sometimes start to feel almost embarrassed bringing up because surely in the scheme of things they are insignificant... things like anxiety over going to the dentistGod is a big God... and He loves me. He cares when something makes me feel afraid or nervous... and He wants me to share everything with Him.  It's a relationship that we have going on.  He doesn't want me just speaking to Him in the big things... He also wants me to share the small things.  

 "Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows."

~Luke 12:7

This world is sometimes a frightening place.  And it's expected and more easily accepted that the big things will cause us to feel afraid, just as we have going on all around us right now in the world.  But don't allow the enemy to convince you that those smaller things in your own personal life aren't just as important to God.  To Him, none of it is small when it affects His child.  

NOTE: By the way, I got through the dentist appointment.  And it went smoothly.  Was there a great move from God to keep me from some great dental disaster?  I doubt it... that wasn't the point of my fear.  But I felt calm, and my mind could be on the things it needed to be rather than full of fear or worry.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing with you is an honor, and I would love for you to share back with me