Thursday, January 2, 2014

It's a Happy New Year -- and It's My Happy Birthday....

From the time I was a child my birthday felt like an afterthought.  To me it always seemed like I must've been born on the most inconvenient day of the year... and as I grew up, I became more and more convinced that was the truth.  January 2nd.  Just the second day into a completely new year.  Most people are just returning to work after New Year's, and some are returning after the entire holiday season.  But almost unanimously, people are tired from the holiday activities and busy-ness, they are broke, they are partied out. The last thing they want to do is throw on a birthday party hat.


Yet here we are again... it's January 2nd.  And it is my birthday.  But maybe we need to look at this entire year to get the full picture.  Afterall, it's a whole 2-days-old now!  I had a wonderful New Year's Eve, simply because I spent it with people I care about.  And New Year's Day - well, it was perfect.  I kept the Christmas tree lights on almost all day, drank coffee & hot tea throughout the day, watched movies on TV in between some football games, camped out on the sofa under a big warm blanket napping of & on through the afternoon, and when it was finally late enough moved to my bed to sleep for the night.  Awoke this morning to my birthday.  I've done this 48 times now.  And honestly, it never gets old!  I'm not one for needing to be in the spotlight.  Just the opposite actually.  But I absolutely love to hear "Happy Birthday" on MY special day!  Maybe it's knowing that someone remembers me, or they are thinking of me.  Whatever it is, it makes me feel important and special and treasured... and loved. 



So now that I am here - 48-years-old - what will I do?  What resolutions could I possibly make this year that I haven't made in years past?  Truth is, I don't really believe in New Year's resolutions... rather, I make resolutions every day to be a better, kinder, more compassionate, more generous personBut this year I find I am more passionate about embracing my life, my relationships, my walk with Jesus, my health... more than I've ever felt before.  There was a lot of loss, sickness and fears in 2013, and it's time to move past them.  So 2014, combined with turning a new number, will be my inspiration to wake each morning and think first of what I'm thankful for... even if it is just simply that I awoke for one more glorious day on this earth. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing with you is an honor, and I would love for you to share back with me