Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Emptying my mind in yoga...

Several months ago I made the decision that it was time...FINALLY time to get myself into better shape.  I was about to turn 48 {which I did in early January} and I didn't want to be scrambling when 50 was right around the corner trying to get myself into shape.  So my first step was to finally start going to the fitness center that we had joined a few months earlier {the same one I had found every excuse in the world to not go so far!}  I am an introvert...BUT I like to think I'm a recovering introvert at this point in my life.  I have certainly been pushing myself out of my comfort zone more and more over the past couple years, and this past 8 months has almost seemed like a marathon!  There are times I feel as if I'm on a 12-step plan to recover from my extreme introvertedness.  And honestly, I don't always like all that it entails.

Ok... back to the fitness center.  

In my normal need-to-be-prepared way, I did go for a visit the day before to ask lots of questions, make sure I knew exactly where everything was, pick up a class schedule and even check out the best Exit spots {just in case I couldn't handle it once I got there and needed a quick escape!}  And then it was the day - I was going go DO IT!  Finally!  I put on my cute workout clothes and headed to the fitness center. I chose a Step-Aerobics class, and it kicked my tail.  Seriously, I almost felt like I needed to crawl to my car.  It wasn't actually the step-class itself, it was the last part which I later found out was Pilates.  That particular instructor is also a Pilates Instructor (and a very good one, I might add) and those were some of the exercises she incorporates for cool-down and mat-work at the end of step class.  I could barely do any of the exercises.  Excitedly, it didn't discourage me - but rather, it challenged me!  I don't like being told I can't do something or can't accomplish something - in fact, that's probably the best thing to say to me if someone really wants to push me.  I have been going regularly since.  As it turns out, I transitioned away from the step classes and now primarily enjoy both Yoga and Pilates regularly each week.  

If you've never done either of these, both Yoga and Pilates are focused a lot on breathing; about finding your core and working on that part of yourself, which in turn strengthens your entire body.  {Already I can both feel and see the positive results.}  There are also some instructors, especially with Yoga, who encourage you to clear your mind.  And this is where I am challenged.  Today when I was in Yoga class and we were sitting in position quietly as the class started, meditating on our breathing and on our core, I found scripture flooding my mind. "This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it." Josh 1:8... "I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways." Ps 1:2.... "He must increase, but I must decrease. John 3:30.... "Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth." John 17:17  Rather than emptying my mind, it was full of the Word of God.  And I found myself praying.  Praying for strength in these days that are sometimes scary or trying or overwhelming... or all of those things combined.  Praying for the love and forgiveness I need in my life to accomplish the things that I am set to accomplish before me.  Praying for clear direction, wisdom, discernment on this journey my life is on.  And as I continued to stretch my body, to breath through the class, to keep my core activated and working, I found my mind was also feeling less stressed.  When we came to the part of class where we were in positions that required balance and strength, I once again found myself praying, and the scriptures continued to flood my mind, and in them there was peace.  “'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 2 Cor 12:9.... "The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped" Ps 28:7.... "The LORD is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him" Ps 18:1.... As the end of class was approaching, and I was facing the knowledge that the real work of my day was about to begin I found my favorite scripture flooding my heart and mind: "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God" Heb 12:1-2.   

Maybe this isn't the intention in Yoga for clearing the mind, but for me this works best.  Very often in this life I have been reminded that it's not about me... it is all about Him.  "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Gal 2:20  As I walk through another day of this unbelievable journey God has planned just for me, I pray that my strength always comes from Him, and that I never empty my mind of His empowering Word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing with you is an honor, and I would love for you to share back with me